Today is Valentine's Day. Yes, I tend to agree with many of you that it's a made-up holiday with an inordinate amount of associated pressure. I also think it's a good excuse to give the loved ones around you a little treat, a little smile, an acknowledgement that they mean something special.
Here's a little treat (literally) that you can bake up to surprise your kids (or significant other) tonight. Or this weekend... who says you have to give Valentine's treats *on* Valentine's Day anyway?
Valentine's Pixie Bites
- 6 TB butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (or a Devil's Food and add red food coloring)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. Mix powdered sugar and corn starch together in a shallow bowl, set aside.
- Place cake mix, cooled butter, eggs and lemon zest in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until well-blended. It should feel like a dough not a cake batter.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the powdered sugar mix. Place on an ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.