Just around the corner is Halloween — the holiday where little ghouls load up on all the trick-or-treat candy they can get. Test your candy history knowledge and see how you do.
1. The first chocolate bar was made by Joseph Fry in England in?
2) The history of candy can be traced back as far as _________ when Egyptians used honey to make candy by adding figs, nuts, dates and spices.
3) Cotton candy was invented in ________ when in 1897 the first cotton candy machine was patented.
B. New York
4) The modern lollipop, created by George Smith, got its name from:
A. His wife, Lolly Rose.
B. His favorite horse, Lolly Pop.
C. His daughter, whose nickname was Molly Lolly.
D. The family dog, Ms. Lolli Doodle.
5) Richard Cadbury introduced chocolate treats for this holiday in 1868, and giving them became an annual became a tradition.
C. Mother’s Day
D. Valentine’s Day
6) William Wrigley Jr. created Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum and Wrigley’s Spearmint Chewing Gum in this year.
7) In 1905, this company introduced the first peanut bar.
D. Uncle George’s
8) In the late-1920s, this was the second top-selling candy bar:
9) M&Ms were invented in 1941 and there were how many flavors?
10) Reese Pieces was introduced in:
Answers: 1) C, 2) A, 3) C, 4) B, 5) D, 6) D, 7) C, 8) A, 9) D, 10) C