Phil Potempa's daily entertainment news column.
Ready for Her 'Close-up': Actress ready for role of a lifetime starring as lead in 'Sunset Boulevard'
When Chicago actress favorite Christine Sherrill was cast as the lead role of faded silent film star Norma Desmond in Drury Lane Theatre Oakbrook's new production of "Sunset Boulevard," like her stage alter ego, she faced a mixture of fear and excitement.
Times columnist Philip Potempa chats with Psychic Irene Hughes in "the Egyptian Room" at her Crete, Ill. home in January 2004.
Even though last month marked the fifth anniversary since our region's beloved Phil Smidt's restaurant closed, memories of the menu live on with Times readers.
It's no wonder I've had so many readers contact me about recipes for fried green tomatoes.
'From the Farm: Family Recipes and Memories of a Lifetime' (2004, Pediment Press, $29.95)
Then-Senate Democratic candidate Barack Obama waves to the crowd at the Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade, Saturday, March, 13, 2004.
Follow The Times
Stop in and visit Lightning Fireworks today!
We have remodeled more than 15,000 local homes since 1969. J &…
Bluebonnet, Organic Valley, Solaray and more. (219) 661-0915 …
Every Sunday, the buffet table holds delicious breakfast and lunch dishes for our all-you-can-eat brunch.
Held every Sunday, with seating between 11:00am and 2:00p…
FOR 10K-14K-18K PLATINUM Call 924-3555
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
Do you calll the police when you suspect a possible crime?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am