Appointed School Board
VALPARAISO | Hoping to rekindle interest in the petition drive to change the city's School Board to an elected body, organizers are taking the campaign to the Web.
VALPARAISO | Just because the Porter County Council now has to approve the Valparaiso Community Schools budget, the City Council is not ready to back the movement for an elected rather than appointed school board.
One myth consistently put forward when discussing the merits of an appointed versus elected school board is that an elected board would introduce politics into the educational process. It is not a question of politics, but more a question of accountability.
Valparaiso and Duneland officials are right to pursue plans for referendums to raise more money for the school districts, just as Crown Point has already done.
In a "forest-for-the-trees" scenario, Valparaiso Community Schools board President James Sarkisian apparently couldn't see the disgruntled mob at Monday's board meeting for all the people standing in his way.
Follow The Times
It’s the Candice Olson Furniture Sales Event at Walter E. Smithe Save 20% on Candice Olson Collection
(and almost everything else) Ends May 20. www.smithe.com view…
For over 40 years people have relied on Lawn Doctor for a lush…
Call Precise Accounting & Tax Service today at 219-845-54…
We have many styles to choose from.
Davis Concrete Correctors is a locally owned and family operat…
- 1 Police investigating shooting outside North Hammond Walmart
- 2 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 3 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 4 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 5 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
Should the county surveyor be elected or appointed?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm