Bush Tax Cuts
On New Year's Day, Indiana's four freshman members of the U.S. House voted against the so-called fiscal cliff deal. If the deal hadn't passed — and it did by a 257 to 167 margin — most middle class families would have seen their taxes go up somewhere in the $2,000- to $3,000-a-year range.
Like almost all Americans, I have watched the president and Congress argue and point fingers over who is protecting whom. What has been particularly disturbing to me is how the White House has pointed at the “entitled 2 percent’ers,” claiming they need to pay their fare share.
Economics is not an experimental science. We can't say to Congress, "Honorable ladies and gentlemen, please drastically raise taxes and cut spending all at once so we can measure the effects on the economy of changes in the federal government's budget." This is not what elected officials do.
Let's see, I'm going to buy a new Mercedes-Benz. And I think I'll buy a new Ford F-150 4x4. I'll sign up for a premium health care plan with a tiny deductible and an array of prescription drug benefits. The scripts will cost me about $4 out of pocket. And I'll take a 10 percent pay cut. If I…
Follow The Times
(888) 539-1875 southlakeautomall.com
$7 off full service oil change OR Select Flush Services: Including Trans, Coolant, Oil System Clnr, Power Steering.
Exp 6/29/13. 219-922-1288
2012 President Award Winner and Toyota Time Sales Event features ZERO percent on 9 different models.
Visit us at www.toyotaofmerrillville.com
Update your floors and technology by choosing us! Now offering free IPod Shuffle, IPod Nano, or IPad Mini with a qualifying flooring purchase.
Call for details. 219-864-7100. flooringunlimited.net
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
Should Lake County have continued to pursue the trash-to-ethanol proposal?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am