A story that appeared Wednesday in some editions of The Times incorrectly stated whose term on the Valparaiso School Board is expiring in July. The story should have said Jim Jorgensen's term is expiring.
VALPARAISO | The Valparaiso Community Schools district used to be the New York Yankees of the education world, and it needs a School Board appointee that can return the district to that level of excellence.
VALPARAISO | A year after the Valparaiso City Council and the Center Township Board thought they approved the creation of a fire territory, they did it again Monday.
VALPARAISO | In what seems like a case of deja vu all over again, the city on Monday held the first of the required three public hearings on forming a fire protection territory with Center Township.
VALPARAISO | It's back to square one for the city's fire department in its effort to create a fire territory.
VALPARAISO | The City Council and the Center Township Board will meet in joint session March 28 to take a final vote on creating a fire territory.
VALPARAISO | There is a $3.5 million budget shortfall in Valparaiso Community Schools, and the city has about $5.4 million in property taxes tied up in tax increment financing districts, which some residents have said could help the schools.
VALPARAISO | Somehow the city was able to make more with less in 2011.
VALPARAISO | The City Council approved a 2012 budget Monday and at the same time adopted a resolution to ask the state Department of Local Government Finance for more money.
Now that Indiana's property tax cap amendment is in effect, local governments no longer can increase taxes arbitrarily and finally will have to live within their means like ordinary residents.
VALPARAISO | The city can expect about a $1.3 million hit as a result of the state's new property tax cap law that limits property taxes it can collect.
Follow The Times
Our mission at Dutch Pet Motel is to treat all pets with love …
Access A Plumber 24/7 is locally owned and operated with more …
Geothermal heating and cooling systems use 40-60% less energy than conventional systems. Learn more about what it might save you today!
Call Timeless Images Photography today at 219-934-9028 and vis…
Time to plan the best PARTY in Northwest Indiana and Chicago!
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
In Today's Paper
Do you calll the police when you suspect a possible crime?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am