- 1 Calls of tiger on the loose in Gary prompt police search
- 2 Historical Blue Top Drive-In returns under new ownership
- 3 2 girls in critical condition, mom hospitalized after Hammond shooting
- 4 Cops: Help ID Highland Best Buy robbery suspect
- 5 Cops investigating Griffith man's death after fight with friends
It says a lot about the state of local government in Indiana that local officials in some communities grumbled about being forced to comply with the nepotism and conflict-of-interest reforms forced on them by a new state law.
INDIANAPOLIS | A new state law that took effect Sunday signals the end of Northwest Indiana's tradition of nepotism in local government jobs.
Porter County Clerk Karen Martin's decision to hire her daughter skirts the county's nepotism policy but does not violate it, a Times review of the matter concluded.
Porter County Clerk Karen Martin hired her daughter about a week after taking office -- knowing her daughter had been fired from the clerk's office six years before for alleged misconduct, a Times investigation found.
Follow The Times
Dining "bar top" has become increasingly popular at the Cafe.
Kusiak Construction offers a 5-year labor guarantee and has an A+ BBB rating and wants to provide the highest quality Windows, Siding, & Roofing service to you!
Kusiak Construction serves Highland, IN with over 50 years of …
Call or Stop in today!
Dean's Lawn & Landscaping offers you years of experience a…
Does the state do enough to cultivate economic growth in Northwest Indiana?