"I am shocked, shocked to find … gambling …" This famous line of the cynical Captain Renault to night club manager Rick in the film classic "Casablanca" comes to mind in reflecting on the practices of American credit rating agencies.
Take note, Lake County, of the government financial fiasco boiling over in neighboring Illinois. If Lake County government officials don't wake up and pursue more sound economic policies and strategies, Lake County could be a microcosm of Illinois' bigger financial problems.
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. | Sen. Mark Kirk has released a video calling for "decisive bipartisan action" to prevent further reductions in Illinois' credit ratings.
An American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees union member wears a protest message on his shirt May 23 while rallying against the proposed pension legislation at the Illinois state Capitol in Springfield.
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. | Stubborn pension problems and government gridlock earned Illinois another reduction in its credit rating Wednesday, potentially costing taxpayers millions of dollars.
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. | Illinois, unable to solve its long-running financial problems, was given the lowest credit rating of any state in the country by Moody's Investors Service on Friday, a move that will increase costs to taxpayers.
Follow The Times
We offer a wide selection of pool accessories for your pool in…
You pay what you believe you can afford You pay what you beli…
We can proudly say that our success stems from the fairness of…
Call 219 934 0750 for Details.
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
Should Lake County have continued to pursue the trash-to-ethanol proposal?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am