Like it or not, Indiana's ISTEP+ is a high-stakes test. This week's interruptions to the testing process are disgraceful.
LAKE STATION | A 33-year veteran Lake Station teacher remains on administrative leave with pay.
LAKE STATION | A veteran Edison Jr./Sr. High School teacher was suspended Friday with pay following a threatening message he allegedly wrote on the chalkboard to students.
Last year was pivotal for K-12 education in Indiana with a number of hot button issues including collective bargaining, vouchers, teacher evaluation and merit pay.
Indiana is one of 20 states where spanking remains an option for student discipline.
Some local public school educators are disappointed with what they called the "first round" of a school voucher legal bout.
As school begins this month, legislation that was passed in the 2011 session will have a widespread impact on schools across Indiana. But the jury is still out on whether the new initiatives will have a positive impact on student achievement.
LAKE STATION | For the first time in nearly 10 years, Lake Station Community Schools has hired an assistant superintendent.
Local superintendents say it's great the governor put more money into kindergarten, but it's a little misleading to say it will fully fund full-day kindergarten for every district in the state.
LAKE STATION | Central Elementary School, which houses 105 sixth-grade students, closed its doors Wednesday.
LAKE STATION | Lake Station Community Schools officials evacuated Thomas Edison Junior-Senior High School after a bomb threat shortly before noon.
Follow The Times
For a confidential consultation, contact me or call my office …
As an industry leader in commercial and residential plumbing, …
Brown Tire of Portage Inc has been supplying quality Goodyear …
Secret's Loving Care is a not-for-profit adult day service. We…
- 1 Police investigating shooting outside North Hammond Walmart
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 5 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
Should all Indiana judges be chosen by a merit commission, the way they are in Lake and St. Joseph counties?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm