Federal officials recently made some discouraging predictions about the future of American health care.
In county government, as with businesses, the employees are the biggest cost. But county government hasn't followed the private sector's lead yet in managing that cost, or those employees, well.
Millions of working Americans are still without health insurance, and many more worry about whether they'll be able to afford their existing coverage due to rising health costs.
VALPARAISO | The type of high-deductible health insurance plan being contemplated for Porter County employees is forcing a change in the way participants view their approach to health care.
PORTAGE | The City Council narrowly approved a contract this week with Firefighters Local 3151.
"Greedy" and "excessive" are among words used by some members of the Lake County solid waste management district board to describe a retirement plan proposed for district employees.
Merrillville Town Council members have been complaining about tight finances, concerned about how to pay the town's bills in the face of property tax caps and lower collection rates. Yet they voted last week to continue providing insurance coverage to themselves.
Recently the subject of Public Safety Employee pensions have been the topic of much discussion in the media and especially in Springfield. Several sweeping reforms were enacted for new police and fire employees hired after Jan. 1, 2011.
CROWN POINT | A potential compromise could give a Merrillville lawyer health care coverage at public expense, without starting a stampede to get on the county government's insurance plan now costing $30 million.
Follow The Times
We use top quality siding materials that will beautify and pro…
We have remodeled more than 15,000 local homes since 1969. J &…
Our expertise can definitely help you. 219-932-5818
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
Should Lake County have continued to pursue the trash-to-ethanol proposal?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am