GARY | A fire in an abandoned house in the 2400 block of Bell Street at 9:45 a.m. Thursday took firefighters about 40 minutes to bring under control, according to Gary firefighters.
GARY | A fire that started in piled lumber and debris in a garage in Gary just after 9 p.m. Saturday quickly spread to two houses.
FORD HEIGHTS | Cook County Sheriff's police are investigating three arson cases in Ford Heights. All occurred during one week.
Evan Jones has started his days for the last week and a half by waking up at 5 a.m. and heading into Idaho mountains to help fight a sprawling wildfire.
A Tuesday afternoon fire in an apartment building in East Chicago displaced 21 people, including about 10 children.
Ted Gonzalez, of East Chicago, looks out the window of his home in the 4900 block of Homerlee on Monday morning where an early morning fire burned two garages to the ground, and damaged at least three homes and three vehicles as the fire jumped from a garage to neighboring structures.
Trash cans in the alley of the 4900 block of Homerlee appear to have been set on fire. A garage fire, far left, jumped to a house, center, and then to a neigboring garage, nearly igniting the neighboring home, top right, where five children slept overnight Monday.
Framed through the charred remains of Stephen Perez's van, East Chicago employees prepare to board up the back of a house damaged after a garage fire spread to the home and a neighboring garage. It also damaged two more houses, and destroyed three vehicles caught up in the blaze. East Chicag…
Two garages were burnt to the ground, and three homes damages in a series of fires Monday morning that kept East Chicago firefighters busy. A van owned by Stephen Perez was destroyed along with two other vehicles parked in a garage, left, off the alley in the 4900 block of Homerlee. The back…
Fanned by the wind, flames from a garage fire jumped to a house and then to a neigboring garage, nearly igniting the neighboring home where five children slept overnight. Ted Gonazalez looks out a window of a bedroom where his daughters were sleeping when the fire started in a garage nex door.
When you read about fires raging far away, and think it's not real, remember it's dry here.
GLENWOOD | A fire March 9 displacing residents of an eight-unit condominium was typical of what the Glenwood Fire Department has been witnessing.
WASHINGTON (AP) — 'Tis the season for dancing sugarplums, goodwill toward all — and sometimes emergency-room trips for holiday decorating injuries.
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. | Investigators say a resident had removed the smoke detector from the apartment where an Indiana University student, who also graduated from Andrean High School, died in an apartment building fire near the Bloomington campus.
SENDAI, Japan | She scanned the landscape of debris and destruction, looking at the patch of earth where Japan's massive tsunami erased her son's newly built house so thoroughly that she can't even be certain where it once stood.
In the garden:
Fireworks fountain grass explodes with color and interest with its flaming variegated foliage and arching foxtail like plumes. The fact that it is happening now in tired summer gardens is even better.
CHICAGO | A 31-year-old Chicago firefighter is dead after falling from a ladder while responding to a fire at a downtown restaurant.
MOSCOW (AP) — Deaths in Moscow have doubled to an average of 700 people a day as the Russian capital is engulfed by poisonous smog from wildfires and a sweltering heat wave, a top health official said Monday.
Are you a region native living in Moscow dealing with the heavy smog in that area? Or do you know someone from the region currently in the Russian city?
Follow The Times
- 1 Region doctor, children killed in I-65 crash
- 2 Feds: Lake Station mayor gambled away campaign, food pantry cash
- 3 Babysitter admits to beating 4-year-old boy
- 4 Suburban man shot in home invasion after win at Horseshoe casino
- 5 Lake Station mayor, wife, stepdaughter plead not guilty to corruption charges
$100 Discount on Camera Inspection with Sewer rodding! mention offer nwicamera call St. John Plumbing 219-365-2095
$100 Discount on Camera Inspection with Sewer rodding!
Are you looking to replace your old furnace or A/C? Air Tech Comfort Systems, Inc is the company to call! (219) 663-9778
You can count on Air Tech Comfort Systems to provide you with …
Need extra cash fast? We offer loans on your Jewelry with no credit checks, no bankers, no questions regarding your income, assets, or current job status!
Since opening in the spring of 1980, as the vision of club fou…
Details to be announced soon!
Should Indiana switch to open primary elections?