There are separate extenuating circumstances, but the core problem faced by the Munster, Union Township and Boone Township school districts is a failure of the state government to adequately fund the operation of local schools.
Last week's shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School and the notion that the world could end Friday has fueled rumors across the region and nation, many of them targeting schools. Police said three teens were arrested Wednesday and Thursday after making threats.
School districts across Northwest Indiana are reassessing their security plans in the wake of the massacre of 26 children and adults Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
Some local educators see similarities in the issues facing striking Chicago public school teachers and the problems Indiana teachers have dealt with.
Portage may battle Valparaiso and Chesterton on the football field and rivals Hebron and Kouts may be fierce competitors on the basketball court, but when it comes for doing what's best for students in Porter County, educators here agree it's better to drop the competitiveness and collaborat…
It's time for schools to offer a course in Appropriate Pranking.
UNION TOWNSHIP | Vandalism is being blamed for the cancellation of classes at Wheeler High School on Monday and a two-hour delay of classes at the adjacent middle school. Superintendent John Hunter said the vandalism was discovered by custodians arriving at the school early Monday.
Follow The Times
Visit www.myeasyclean.com/socialcircle.html for details.
Our desire is for you to see our beautiful new homes with floo…
Pete Doherty is an accomplished scenic photographer!
In September 26th, 2003, I received a message from God. God to…
The NWI Times undercover shopper reports on local gold buying …
- 1 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
- 5 Feds: Van Til indicted for using public employees, resources for campaign work
In Today's Paper
Should Congress enact a federal media shield law?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm