The region's economy remains stuck in neutral, with some small gains in hiring since the beginning of the year, according to the NWI Index for April.
Northwest Indiana's economic performance remained largely flat in March, but observers are taking heart in gains in individual business sectors and overall in the last 12 months.
A Northwest Indiana economy that has been idling along in neutral for the past year could finally shift into gear within six months, according to the most recent reading from the NWI Leading Index.
CROWN POINT | Compared with the slowly growing national and state economies, Northwest Indiana’s economy remains flat and is in exactly the same place it was 20 years ago.
Lackluster growth in retail sales and a drop in regional employment took some holiday cheer out of Northwest Indiana's economy last month, according to an index that gauges regional economic dynamics.
Two Indiana University Northwest professors said Tuesday that Northwest Indiana's economy has been stuck in neutral in recent months following gains in late 2011 and early 2012.
Northwest Indiana's economy in recent months has been in a downshift as gains earlier this year in steel production, manufacturing hours worked and other key metrics have been erased.
Northwest Indiana's economy continued to idle in August, with softness in employment and average hours worked continuing to drag on business activity.
Three years after the end the of the Great Recession, economic activity in Northwest Indiana still is muddling along at 1992 levels with no evidence of a rapid turnaround in sight.
Follow The Times
Call 219 934 0750 for Details.
Robert Balash Trucking & Excavating
Check our warehouse for carpet & vinyl remnants 50% off (Great for Dorm Rooms!). Custom Sized Area Rugs & Runners can be bound to fit your space.
219-462-8026 New stock of remnants arriving now!
All Carpet on Sale now 30% to 50% off call (219) 922-6800
Not to be applied toward account balances or dental servi…
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
Should Lake County have continued to pursue the trash-to-ethanol proposal?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am