CHICAGO | The Times captured six Peter Lisagor Awards for Exemplary Journalism on Friday.
Ruth Pelke was murdered in 1985, and her family says her legacy of love lives on through today.
Ruth Pelke's family has fond memories of holidays in her Gary home, complete with crocheted gifts, colored cookies and "Nana salad," Pelke's macaroni salad mixed with watermelon pickles.
Paula Cooper should do every day of her 60-year sentence. So by the time she gets out of jail she would be around the same age as Ruth Pelke, who did not need to die after 33 stab wounds. Cooper should feel old by the time she gets out at age 75.
Paula Cooper was sentenced to death for the murder of an elderly Bible school teacher in the 1980s. The state Supreme Court commuted her sentence to 60 years in prison, and now she shares her story and hopes for the future with The Times as the final year of her sentence winds down.
ROCKVILLE, Ind. | Paula Cooper mixed no-bake cookies, creating balls of sweet coconut and baking cocoa the size of a fist.
The mugshot of Paula Cooper, then 15, after her arrest for the May 14, 1985 murder of 78-year-old Ruth Pelke.
Paula Cooper was 15 years old when she was sentenced to death for stabbing an elderly Bible school teacher to death. The Indiana Supreme Court commuted her sentence to 60 years, and she is now counting down the days to her 2013 release.
Ruth Pelke, an elderly Bible school teacher in Gary, was stabbed to death in her home on May 14, 1985. Four teenagers were convicted, and 15-year-old Paula Cooper was sentenced to death.
Paula Cooper was 15 years old when she was sentenced to death for the brutal stabbing murder of an elderly Bible school teacher. The Indiana Supreme Court commuted her sentence to 60 years, and she is now counting down the days to her 2013 release.
It's been quite an interesting journey to be the public information officer at the Lake County prosecutor's office for 26 years. But alas, my position was eliminated, and now is the perfect time to return to my roots -- writing for The Times.
Follow The Times
Time to take control of your life!
Overworked just keeping up with daily house maintenance?
When you trust your home or business painting needs to Custom …
Stop by Kensington Watch Services today at 146 North Main Stre…
- 1 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
- 5 Feds: Van Til indicted for using public employees, resources for campaign work
In Today's Paper
Should Congress enact a federal media shield law?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm