VALPARAISO | His time serving in the U.S. military didn't make him a racist, T.J. Leyden said, but it made him "a better racist."
Tammy Bryant, Hammond | "In some ways it's worse. People are not nice. It's tiring having people complain about their position in life and blaming others. Everybody wants something for free, but no one wants to pay any of it."
Kevin Dougherty, Batavia | "It's getting better, especially since I was a kid, that's for sure. It's better than it used to be."
Julian Stryczek, Valparaiso | "They've come a long way over the past decades. They've improved due to education and open-mindedness. They're better than they used to be."
Dan Burk, Lansing | "They're better than they were 60 years ago. It shows in my kids who don't even see race. I believe that all the races should mix together."
Jerry Tucker, Hammond | "I don't think it's as a big factor as before. Just like the gay rights issue, which seems to run parallel, it's much better."
Region views on race relations
Eric Smith, Portage | "I'd say fair. I think it's a result of the societies' interaction. I do think there's a whole lot more to be done, but I think it's progressing positively though."
VALPARAISO | The city's recently revamped Advisory Human Relations Council is exploring ways to continue the conversation about race relations in Valparaiso.
Phil Potempa's daily entertainment news column.
CHICAGO HEIGHTS | The real problems caused by racial prejudice in the 21st Century are not the blatant racially motivated discrimination of old, U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Chicago, said Thursday.
The Quality of Life Council addressed the subject of race in Northwest indiana at a symposium Friday at Bethel Church in Crown Point. The Rev. Raymond Dix, right, speaks during a panel discussion along with Superintendent Tony Lux of the Merrillville Community School Corp., left, Christine H…
Members of Merrillville High School's Socially Together and Naturally Diverse group recite their pledge at the Quality of Life Council's Race and Its Effects on the Region symposium at Bethel Church in Crown Point.
Follow The Times
We also have a one class per week program for adults!
We offer free refractive evaluations for patients interested in LASIK or implantable contact lenses.
Call today to schedule an appointment.
Davis Concrete Correctors is a locally owned and family operat…
- 1 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
- 5 Feds: Van Til indicted for using public employees, resources for campaign work
Should Congress enact a federal media shield law?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm