In 1923, in Hammond, more than 5,000 regalia-clad Klansmen marched downtown, with an additional 300 to 400 in regular clothing. “Spectators lined the streets in support.” Four crosses were burned in the area, and Rabbi Max Bretton spoke of a burning on the grounds of Temple Beth-El.
MUNSTER | Sitting in the library at Temple Beth-El, Rabbi Michael Stevens reflected on his 36 years as a congregational rabbi and how music eventually led him to his calling.
Beginning in the mid-19th century, Northwest Indiana offered opportunities for the many waves of people who brought their skills, trades and beliefs to help mold the communities where they settled.
"Judaism is a complicated belief. It is a combination of religious and societal. It calls for improvement of the world and helping your fellow man."
Preparing merchandise for the Sept. 7 sale are, in the first row from left, Annette Steinberg, Shirley Deutsch, Tiby Greenberger and event chairperson Pat Horn, all from Munster. In the second row are Lynn Mesirow, of Evergreen Park; Susan Farbstein, of Flossmoor; Shirley Jacobs, of Highland…
MUNSTER | An auction and sale of pre-owned purses and costume jewelry takes place at 7 p.m. Sept. 7 at Temple Beth-El, 10001 Columbia Ave.
Follow The Times
Secret's Loving Care is a not-for-profit adult day service. We…
Visit us today for a battery replacement or watch repair and v…
Contact Russell Tree Care today at 219-863-9953. We provide 24…
- 1 Police investigating shooting outside North Hammond Walmart
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Police: M'ville officer shot attacker
- 5 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
Should all Indiana judges be chosen by a merit commission, the way they are in Lake and St. Joseph counties?
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Wingnuts in first early game of the season4 hours ago
- PREP BASEBALL: Roosevelt forfeits sectional game before postseason begins6 hours ago
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm