The tragic death of noted weather researcher and former Discovery Channel storm chaser Tim Samaras has shaken all of us in the meteorological community.
Thousands of region residents woke up Thursday morning without power for the third day following massive power outages, but NIPSCO representatives said service should be restored across the board by evening.
Power has been restored to nearly all electric customers who lost power in the wake of Tuesday's storms, utility representatives said Wednesday afternoon.
Tuesday morning, as I began writing this column, I felt powerless. In a technical sense, I was — sitting in my living room, looking out at the damage from the thunderstorm that cut off my electricity.
Srong storms like this one Tuesday morning knock down branches and rearrange existing fallen limbs, creating a metaphor for life.
A meteorologist with the National Weather Service said the loud thunderstorms that rocked the region Wednesday night into Thursday morning and caused thousands of power outages won't do much to help with the drought.
All the thunder, lightning, hail and rain that passed through the area Thursday night and Friday did not inflict any serious damage in the south suburbs.
Prepare your trees for thunderstorm season
Huge Lightning bolt over hill
As of Friday afternoon, the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center reported 1,427 tornadoes in the United States this year alone. Some of those tornadoes have been deadly. That makes the need to learn more about tornadoes all the more urgent.
Break out the sunscreen — and umbrellas.
Follow The Times
Lisa Rankin, M.D. will speak on "Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof You Can Heal Yourself" at annual symposium.
Need to settle an ESTATE? Call Bednar Auction Service for rea…
You don't have to be treated bad to get a great deal. Com…
Before finding your next remodeling contractor, find out what …
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
In Today's Paper
Do you calll the police when you suspect a possible crime?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)23 hours ago
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am