Some officials throughout the country say they have learned the grass isn't always greener when it comes to alternative methods of disposing of municipal garbage.
With at least 20 years of existing capacity at Northwest Indiana landfills -- and room for expansion well beyond that -- there is no need to hit the panic button.
A recent federal ruling paints a picture of the national alternative-fuels scene that closely mirrors what Lake County has experienced for four years in its trash-to-ethanol plan: lots of promises and no results.
Some Lake County solid waste officials said they are just as concerned by the legal risks of preserving the controversial trash-to-ethanol contract as the litigation that could result from canceling it.
Lake County's trash-to-ethanol saga will continue — at least another 30 days — after solid waste district officials decided developer Earl Powers satisfied two benchmarks toward filling a perceived breach in his contract.
One Lake County solid waste board member is asking for a legal review of the county's trash-to-ethanol contract to identify possible "out clauses."
Lake County municipal leaders and solid waste officials spent much of 2010 debating the potential liability to taxpayers that public ownership of a planned trash-to-ethanol facility would create.
Follow The Times
Is your sink leaking? Call Access A Plumber 24/7
The Ultimate Weight Loss Kit is hands down the most powerful s…
Elaine Morris has over 25 years of experience with Allstate
(888) 539-1875 southlakeautomall.com
Contact Russell Tree Care today at 219-863-9953. Our family-op…
- 1 Police investigating shooting outside North Hammond Walmart
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Police: M'ville officer shot attacker
- 5 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
Should all Indiana judges be chosen by a merit commission, the way they are in Lake and St. Joseph counties?
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Wingnuts in first early game of the season52 minutes ago
- PREP BASEBALL: Roosevelt forfeits sectional game before postseason begins3 hours ago
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm