Lew Wallace grad Robert Gardner was named the Great Lakes Valley Conference’s men’s Track Athlete of the Year after he guided the University of Indianapolis to its fourth straight conference title.
Gardner won the 400-meter dash (47.01 seconds), was third in the 200 (21.64), was the anchor on the squad’s 400 winning relay team (40.26), and ran the first leg on the winning 1,600 relay (3:15.81).
Gardner’s teammate past and present, Lew Wallace product Jerel Flournoy, was also a member of both winning relays, while finishing second in the 400 (48.37) and was runner-up in the long jump (7.37 meters).
* Hobart grad Ryan McGuire took home the pole vault honors for Missouri S&T in the same meet, which finished second in the team standings.
* Boone Grove grad Mike Fauser won the 800 title in 1:53.27 for St. Joseph’s College, which bested his time by more than a second this past season. Fauser also won the 800 GLVC title during the indoor season. Teammate Joe Tooks (Bloom Trail) won the triple jump.
Kouts’ Megan Rust won the javelin at the GLVC Championships with a career-best throw of 118 feet, 10 inches. She was also fourth in the hammer throw with a career-best toss of 147-4.
Lowell’s Jacki Fletcher earned First Team Capital One Academic All-District 5 honors for the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC). The junior holds a 4.0 grade-point average in kinesiology.
Fletcher is a two-time UIC Female Student Athlete of the Year award winner. She’s third on the team in RBIs, holds a .955 fielding percentage at second base, and is hitting more than .300 in Horizon League play.
* T.F. South product Susan Danielewski was named to the 2013 Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference all-conference second team for the University of Dubuque. She helped guide her team to its first postseason appearance in four years, and the first postseason victory in school history. Danielewski finished with a .344 batting average and holds a career .347 average to go along with the school record for hits, home runs, RBIs and total bases.
Also a four-year starter on the volleyball team, Danielewski played in 118 matches with more than 600 kills to go with 674 digs, and 167 blocks. She carries a 3.7 grade-point average.
* Jessica Pabey (E.C. Central) and Lauren Johnson (Boone Grove) were voted to the 2013 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference First Team All-Conference team.
Pabey finished the season second in the conference with a .446 batting average, with 14 doubles, seven triples, three homers, 40 RBIs and 99 total bases.
Johnson was third in the conference with a .439 average, three doubles, four triples and 83 total bases. She also led the league with 38 stolen bases.
Senior Caitlin Wilcox (Boone Grove) was named to the second team. She hit .367 with 12 doubles, eight homers and 43 RBIs.
Hanover Central’s Paul Petrov was recently named The Bucknellian Male Rookie Athlete of the year at Bucknell. The 133-pounder freshman posted a 20-14 record during the 2012-13 season and finished sixth at the EIWA Championships.
Petrov, who earned the team’s Freshman of the Year award, was one of four Bison to collect 20 wins this past season.
Crown Point's Jeff Limbaugh (Wright State University) had a great series against Youngstown State. In two games, Limbaugh hit a grand slam and added four doubles. Over the last month, the junior has led the club in batting average and is second on the team with three homers, 10 doubles and 26 runs.
* Lake Central’s Ryan Boss is second at UIC with a .283 batting average and is also second with 29 RBIs and six homers. The junior outfielder has started all 44 games.
The Times welcomes information about local athletes for inclusion in Region Collegians. E-mail Brian Waddle at firstname.lastname@example.org.