Faber on injury rehab: 'I'll be all right'

2009-07-30T08:15:00Z Faber on injury rehab: 'I'll be all right'Jay Weiseman, Times MMA Correspondent nwitimes.com
July 30, 2009 8:15 am  • 

LAS VEGAS | Former World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight champion Urijah Faber said his broken right hand and dislocated left are healing and he hopes to begin training again soon.

Faber injured both hands trying to recapture the WEC featherweight belt he had successfully defended five times before losing it to Mike Brown at WEC 36 in Nov. 2008. His rematch with Brown at WEC 41 in his native Sacramento, Calif., on June 7 was by most accounts one of the best fights of the year so far, but Faber came out on the short end of a unanimous decision.

In July, while in Las Vegas for UFC 100, Faber was wearing a cast on his left hand; his right-hand cast was off. He told The Times he hopes to speed up his rehabilitation schedule.

"I took the right hand cast off and they're allowing me to now start working on my mobility (of the right hand) to make sure I can rehab it hopefully fast," Faber said. "Ya know, it's doing OK, man. It's gonna be a couple of months, but I'll be all right."

Faber said his left hand dislocation was "now back in."

Because of the hand injuries against Brown, Faber wound up working kicks and elbows in the middle rounds. In the fifth and final round, he came with more punches despite the broken right hand and dislocated left hand -- possibly looking to stun Brown and end the fight with a knockout. Brown won on all three judges' scorecards, 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47.

Faber said he knew his hand was broken in the fight, but didn't necessarily recall the pain.

"You know, I can't really remember," Faber said. "I know I was definitely trying to avoid touching it the whole time, because there must have been some pain there, and I could hear the bone crunching together and stuff on the fifth metacarpal. But I can't really remember (the pain). I have a short memory and a high pain tolerance."

Faber said he hopes to begin training again "just as soon as possible." He posted to his Twitter account earlier this week that the left-hand cast had been removed; that the fourth metacarpal on his right hand was completely healed and that he was beginning strength training on the hand; that he hoped to be 100 percent within a month; and that he had been sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, which he mentioned to The Times backstage at UFC 100.

"I'm doing everything proactive for it with bone stimulators, and a hyperbaric chamber, and physical therapy," Faber said. "So, I'm working hard to make sure it's a fast recovery."

Faber was medically suspended by the California State Athletic Commission following the loss at WEC 41 and he is not eligible to compete or train with contact until Dec. 4 unless he is cleared by a doctor first.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

activate-button-3
Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Poll

Loading…

Which Chicago baseball team has a brighter future in 2015?

View Results

NFL News