Mixed Martial Arts Notes

Shockley latest Duneland Vale Tudo fighter to reach UFC

2014-05-17T18:45:00Z 2014-05-17T20:40:16Z Shockley latest Duneland Vale Tudo fighter to reach UFCMatt Erickson Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
May 17, 2014 6:45 pm  • 

The Duneland Vale Tudo mixed martial arts team in Hobart has graduated another fighter to the sport's elite level.

Josh Shockley (11-2) has been signed by the UFC and will make his debut with the promotion next month in Vancouver in a lightweight fight against Canada's Jason Saggo (9-1).

Shockley will be part of the preliminary card of UFC 174, which takes place June 14 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. The main card airs on pay-per-view, but Shockley's fight will either stream on the UFC's Fight Pass digital network or air on Fox Sports 1.

Shockley joins Duneland Vale Tudo co-founder Keith Wisniewski, Darren Elkins and Eddie Wineland as members of the team to reach the UFC, the world's largest MMA promotion.

Shockley has been close to the big stage already in his career. He has four fights for Bellator MMA, where he went 2-2, including a win over UFC veteran Shamar Bailey.

Most recently, though, he has back-to-back wins over Mike Cannon at Hoosier Fight Club 13 and Micah Miller, brother of UFC vet Cole Miller, at HFC 16 this past June. So when he steps in the cage for his UFC debut, it will be on a layoff of more than a year.

He has stayed busy in the interim, though, working with other Duneland Vale Tudo fighters, including helping work Elkins' corner for his UFC fights.

Saggo will be making his UFC debut, as well, and will come into the fight on a four-fight winning streak. All nine of his wins have been by stoppage, with eight by submission.

Broken jaw shelves Wineland after loss: Eddie Wineland returned to action earlier this month hoping to build on his January knockout of Yves Jabouin in Chicago. But now he faces an uphill battle after a knockout loss.

Wineland was stopped by Brazil's Johnny Eduardo with a first-round TKO at UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati. Eduardo, who was fighting after a two-year layoff against a heavy favorite in Wineland, landed a vicious right hand in the first round that wobbled Wineland. Then a follow-up right sent the former WEC champ to the canvas.

Wineland told The Times he broke his jaw in the fight, and this past Wednesday he had surgery in Chicago to wire it shut. Faced with a layoff of at least six weeks, Wineland said a doctor's recommendation is that he reassess his fighting career since the jaw break was his second.

The 29-year-old Westville resident, also a full-time firefighter, said he now has much to consider in terms of whether he one day will fight again.

"I have to see if the juice is worth the squeeze," Wineland said.

Magny stays on track, stays busy: Neil Magny, a former student of Miguel Torres and former HFC standout, won his second straight to move to 3-2 in the UFC with a decision win over Tim Means at UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati.

Magny was a 2-to-1 underdog in the fight, but outworked Means over three rounds to get a pair of 29-28 scores and a 30-27.

Just this past week, only a few days after the win, he booked his next bout. Magny will travel to New Zealand next month to face Claudio da Silva at UFC Fight Night 43 on June 28. It will be Magny's sixth UFC fight in 16 months, making him among the promotion's busiest fighters.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

activate-button-3
Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

How will the Bulls do this season?

View Results

NFL News