Fighting for the first time in nearly a year, and moving up a weight class, Miguel Torres saw his struggles continue Saturday night.
Torres, an East Chicago native and former bantamweight world champion, lost for the third straight time when he was submitted by Pablo Alfonso at World Series of Fighting 6.
The end for Torres (40-7), who moved up to featherweight for the first time, came at the 3:05 mark of the first round at the event at BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla. Torres' fight with Alfonso (9-5) was the featured bout on the preliminary card.
Alfonso came out quickly against the former World Extreme Cagefighting champion as Torres looked to stay patient waiting for an opening. But Alfonso didn't give him that opportunity.
Alfonso rocked Torres with a flurry of punches, and it was a pair of uppercuts in close quarters that put the region resident on the canvas.
Once there, Alfonso quick dove in and started hammering away, hoping to get a ground-and-pound finish as Torres covered up. The referee gave Torres the opportunity to survive, though he was clearly in trouble and cut open.
And survive, Torres did, and he even tried to throw up some submission attempts from his back. He recovered and briefly tried to choke his way back to his feet with a guillotine. But Alfonso wriggled out, and when Torres went to his feet, he walked right into an Alfonso guillotine choke.
Alfonso dropped back with the choke in tight as Torres tried to free his head. But he couldn't, and for just the second time in 47 fights, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under the famed Carlson Gracie had to tap.
On his official Facebook page, Torres said he was backed into a corner before the fight even started. The 32-year-old said promotion officials told him he could wear his grappling "spats" – long compression-style pants – in the fight. But when he got to the cage, the referee told him he had to change into shorts.
"Had to sprint 100 yards there, look for shorts, then sprint back," Torres posted. "Was not expecting that, threw my mind off and I didn't execute in my fight. I apologize to all my training partners and students and especially my daughter. I make no excuse and take this (loss) personally and with full responsibility. I am better than what I showed today."
Torres started his MMA career 37-1 before losing his WEC 135-pound title in August 2009. A second straight loss came after that. He won his UFC debut in February 2011, but then lost a close decision to Demetrious Johnson in a fight that likely would've gotten him a title shot with a win.
After going 2-1 in the UFC, Torres suffered a public firing from the promotion after a controversial Twitter post. He made amends and was back less than a month later. But in his next outing, he was knocked out by Michael McDonald in what would be his final UFC fight. He announced in the summer of 2012 that he had been released by the promotion.
In late August, he was arrested for marijuana possession in Marshall County, but WSOF said it would still book him for a fight on Saturday's show. Torres now is 0-2 under the WSOF banner.