Sports Digest: OSU coach won't suspend players ejected from game vs. U-M

2013-12-01T21:15:00Z 2014-06-24T21:07:41Z Sports Digest: OSU coach won't suspend players ejected from game vs. U-M nwitimes.com

Pro basketball

PELICANS' DAVIS BREAKS HAND VS. KNICKS: New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis broke his left hand against the New York Knicks, and the team says a timetable for his return is to be determined.

The second-year star was injured in the first half Sunday. The Pelicans said the injury was a non-displaced fracture of his hand.

Davis was averaging 19.6 points and 10.6 rebounds entering the game. The No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft and a member of the U.S. Olympic team that won a gold medal that summer came in leading the NBA with 3.9 blocked shots per game.

Pro football

POLICE INVESTIGATE DEATH OUTSIDE ARROWHEAD STADIUM: Police say two people have been arrested after a person was killed in the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot.

Details have not been released, but Police Chief Darryl Forte tweeted about the incident Sunday night on Twitter. Forte said the death is being investigated as a homicide and that two suspects are in custody.

Flashing emergency lights could be seen outside the stadium after the incident.

The Chiefs lost to the Denver Broncos, 35-28, on Sunday at the stadium in Kansas City. It isn't clear if the incident involved fans who had been at the game.

Kansas City Chiefs spokesman Ted Crews says the team is aware of the incident but could not comment any further because of the ongoing police investigation.

College football

MEYER WON'T SUSPEND EJECTED OSU PLAYERS: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer says the players ejected from the Michigan game for fighting will not be suspended for the Big Ten championship game.

Running back Dontre Wilson and offensive lineman Marcus Hall were kicked out of Saturday's game when a skirmish broke out after a kickoff return in the second quarter.

Meyer said Sunday that he will meet with athletic director Gene Smith and speak with Big Ten officials about the fight.

A Big Ten spokesman said Saturday that the league would have to review video of the play before deciding if any players would be punished further.

After Hall was ejected, he made an obscene gesture toward Michigan fans while heading to the locker room.

The second-ranked Buckeyes face No. 10 Michigan State this Saturday in Indianapolis.

BAMA FANS, TEAMMATES RALLY AROUND FOSTER: Alabama kicker Cade Foster was inundated with support from teammates and thousands of fans on social media after missing two field goal attempts and having a third blocked in the Crimson Tide's loss to Auburn.

The initial negative backlash after Saturday's 34-28 defeat mostly turned supportive by Sunday. A fan page titled "Bama fans supporting Cade Foster" was started on Facebook after the game and was approaching 40,000 "likes" by Sunday afternoon. It included a message that negative posts would be deleted.

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron posted on Twitter that "we win & lose as a team. If u blame this on 1 guy U aren't a true fan!"

Linebacker C.J. Mosley was even more emphatic with a tweet urging "fake" and "spoiled" fans to "stop sending threats to my teammates."

Auburn wound up winning on the final play on Chris Davis' 100-yard return of a missed 57-yard field goal attempt by Adam Griffith, who tried the potential game-winning kick in place of Foster.

Youth football

OUTBREAK AT NEV. YOUTH EVENT HITS 2 TEAMS HARDEST: Two teams from California accounted for most of the stomach illnesses this weekend during an outbreak that sickened up to 100 people at a youth football tournament in Las Vegas, organizers said Sunday. But local health officials say it will take time to determine how many were affected.

Some 90 to 100 players, coaches and parents developed flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea during the four-day National Youth Football Championships that ended Saturday, tournament spokesman Justin Gates said.

Of those, a Santa Monica, Calif., team accounted for about 50 cases and a Bakersfield, Calif., team accounted for some 25 cases, he said.

Southern Nevada Health District spokesman Jorge Viote said his agency has encouraged organizers and attendees to fill out survey forms asking about symptoms and is awaiting responses.

Health officials said the symptoms are consistent with norovirus, a mostly food- or waterborne illness that can also be spread by an infected person. They're investigating the cause of the outbreak.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

activate-button-3
Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Which Chicago baseball team has a brighter future in 2015?

View Results

NFL News