QUIJANO NAMED AMERICAN ASSOCIATION PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Left-handed pitcher Alain Quijano was named the American Association’s Pitcher of the Week for the week ending May 26. He is the first RailCat to be named player of the week since pitcher Scott Shaw was named the league’s Pitcher of the Week for the week ending July 17, 2011.
Quijano recorded a 2-0 record and compiled a 0.82 ERA in 11 total innings for the week ending May 26. He held opponents to one run on nine hits, walked two and struck out eight during that period.
RAILCATS GET MONDAY WIN AGAINST SIOUX CITY: Adam Klein was 2-for-4 with two RBI, including the go-ahead single in the seventh inning to lead the RailCats to a 4-3 win over Sioux City on Monday at U. S. Steel Yard. The first-place RailCats improved to 7-4 on the season.
In the bottom of the seventh, with runners on first and second and two out, Klein rocked the final pitch of the afternoon from starter Jason Jarvis into right field to score Drew Martinez and put the RailCats ahead for good.
Klein delivered the RailCats first run in the third inning with a two-out double that scored Chase Tucker, who had reached on a single. Klein is now on a nine-game hit streak and is 6-for-11 with seven RBI with runners in scoring position and two outs. He leads the team with 13 RBI.
REDS' BAKER DEFENDS CUETO AFTER HIGH PITCH VS. CUBS: Reds manager Dusty Baker says he doesn't understand why Cubs pitcher Matt Garza was incensed by Johnny Cueto's pitch high over David DeJesus' head.
Baker said Monday that the Cincinnati ace "couldn't have hit Wilt Chamberlain with that pitch." Both dugouts were warned after the play in the sixth inning Sunday of the Cubs' 5-4, 10-inning win. An angry Garza called Cueto "immature" after the game.
Baker says: "I just wish they'd put them in a room and let them box and it would be over with — like hockey."
Cueto was not at his cubicle in the Reds clubhouse before their game Monday against Cleveland.
Baker questions whether Garza would have been as upset had he pitched better than his four-inning, four-run outing.
SLOW FRENCH OPEN START FOR NADAL; SHARAPOVA WINS: Rafael Nadal knows this story well. All too well. Saw it up close the previous time he played in a major tournament, actually.
Early round, main stadium, unknown opponent taking risky swings and putting everything in. At Wimbledon nearly a year ago, it was 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol who took it to Nadal and beat him in the second round. At the French Open on Monday, in Nadal's return to Grand Slam action after missing seven months with knee trouble, it was 59th-ranked Daniel Brands in the guest-star role.
Like Rosol, Brands employed a go-for-broke style and was hitting big. And for one whole set and most of the next during a first-round match in Court Philippe Chatrier, against the most successful man in Roland Garros history, it worked.
Nadal already owns a record seven French Open titles, including the past three. His bid to become the only man with eight championships at any of tennis' quartet of most important tournaments got off to a slow start, before he restored order by coming back to beat a faltering Brands 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4, 6-3.
"He was trying to hit every ball as hard as he can," Nadal said. "He made me suffer, I can tell you."
There was no such struggle for the tournament's other defending champion, Maria Sharapova, who needed all of 54 minutes to overpower 42nd-ranked Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan 6-2, 6-1. Or for 2011 women's titlist Li Na, a 6-3, 6-4 winner against Anabel Medina Garrigues. Or for 2010 champion Francesca Schiavone, who also won in straight sets. Or No. 4-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska, last year's runner-up at Wimbledon, who kept pace with her younger sister Urszula — producer of a three-set victory over Venus Williams a night earlier — by eliminating Shahar Peer 6-1, 6-1.
FOX SPORTS HAS NOT DETERMINED WHY ROPE SNAPPED: Fox Sports says on Monday it still had not determined why an overhead TV camera cable snapped during the Coca-Cola 600.
The network says a full investigation is under way and use of the camera is suspended indefinitely. Earlier, NASCAR said it would wait for Fox Sports to conclude its review before deciding if such technology would be used in the future.
Charlotte Motor Speedway said 10 people were injured when part of the drive rope landed in the grandstand; three were taken to hospitals. All were checked out and released soon after.
Several drivers, including then-leader Kyle Busch, reported damage to their cars from the rope.