WILSON, GABOR JOIN VALPARAISO STAFF: New Valparaiso girls basketball coach Joe Otis has added two big names to his coaching staff.
Long-time Boone Grove coach Candy Wilson will join the Vikings as the head junior varsity coach. Jack Gabor, a long-time region coach whose stops included Griffith, Bishop Noll and Valparaiso University, will be the varsity assistant. The hires were confirmed at Wednesday's school board meeting along with 91 other personnel moves.
Wilson has had an outstanding career at Boone Grove. In 16 seasons, she amassed a record of 247-116 (.672). Boone's record in the Porter County Conference was 86-27 (.761), which included five 7-0 seasons.
Wilson won four* sectional titles, the last in 2013*. She had three seasons with only two losses.
"Candy brings a lot of energy," Otis said. "It's obvious that I'm not going to coach forever. And I'm not looking at this as I took a step down, I'm here to win and this staff is going to help us win."
Athletic director Herb Hofer said Wilson will teach at Valparaiso's alternative school.
"I'm absolutely thrilled," Otis said. "This is like adding two associate head coaches.
"I had three (coaches) with the boys and that was part of why we were so good due to the strength of the coaching staff."
OJ SIMPSON TESTIFIES IN BIG FOR NEW VEGAS TRIAL: His leg shackles rattling as he shuffled to and from the witness stand, O.J. Simpson made his own case Wednesday for a new trial on armed robbery charges with testimony that he relied on the advice of his trusted attorney when he tried to reclaim mementos from his football glory days.
"It was my stuff. I followed what I thought was the law," the 65-year-old former NFL star and actor said. "My lawyer told me I couldn't break into a guy's room. I didn't break into anybody's room. I didn't try to muscle the guys. The guys had my stuff, even though they claimed they didn't steal it."
Simpson said he took the advice of his longtime former lawyer, Yale Galanter, and didn't testify in his Las Vegas trial at which he was convicted in 2008 of armed robbery, kidnapping and other charges and sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison.
MARSHALS DISPUTE ACCOUNT OF WOODS-GARCIA ISSUE: Two marshals say Tiger Woods never said anything to them about whether Sergio Garcia had played his shot. Two other marshals disputed that account, one of them saying he told Woods that Garcia had already hit on the second hole at the TPC Sawgrass.
In the days since Woods won The Players Championship, the dispute has shifted from players to volunteer marshals.
It started Saturday in the third round when Woods was deep in the trees, some 50 yards to the left of Garcia in the fairway. Woods pulled a 5-wood from his bag to play a high-risk shot through a gap in the trees, and the crowd cheered his decision — right about the time Garcia was playing his shot.
Woods said marshals told him Garcia had already played his shot.
Asked about the poor shot he hit that led to bogey, Garcia said that Woods should have known the Spaniard was about to hit, and he suggested that Woods might have instigated the disruptive cheer. Woods said later Saturday that Garcia didn't have all the facts.
PENN STATE DEFENDS MEDICAL CHANGES AFTER REPORT: Penn State coach Bill O'Brien is fervently disputing suggestions raised in a report that player medical care has been compromised after the team doctor was replaced.
Speaking often in an angry tone that might be otherwise reserved for an argument with an official, O'Brien told reporters in a conference call that the health and safety of his players were his top priorities.
The athletic department has been responding to a story in the latest edition of Sports Illustrated that questioned the quality of care and the motivations behind the removal of longtime team doctor Wayne Sebastianelli earlier this year.
VALPARAISO ADDS SIX RECRUITS FOR NEXT SEASON: Valparaiso's men's soccer program has added six recruits to its roster for next season. The list includes center back Adrian Graham (Kingston, Jamaica), defenders Omar Lawrence (Kingston, Jamaica), Jack McIver (Cincinnati), and Ryan McKenzie (Libertyville, Ill.) plus forwards Suleiman Thomas (Chicago) and Wasajja Walugembe (Las Vegas).
*Editor's note: This story has been corrected from an earlier version. Because of incorrect information The Times received, the story in Thursday print editions listed the incorrect number of sectionals won by Candy Wilson and when she won her last sectional.