The following is a reprint, courtesy of Heloise and King Features Syndicate, of the Aug. 8, 2010, "Ask Heloise" column highlighting the Glen Oak Elementary School students from Lansing, Ill.
Dear Heloise: I read you column almost every morning, and I saw that you would like ideas from students on how to stay organized. My students, all 10-years-old, had a few good ideas to share with you! I hope you enjoy their helpful hints as much as they did writing them. - - Mrs. LaBella, Oak Glen Elementary, Lansing, Ill.
• I try to find a suitable place to do my homework. In the springtime, I like to do it in the park under a tree. - - Jeremiah
• I always read my books in my room where it is quiet and my sisters cannot bother me. - - Olaymi
• When I do my homework, I always do the easiest things first, so I can feel like I accomplished something. - - Ladell
• When I do my homework, I always do the hardest things first, so I can breeze through the rest of my assignments. - - Alline
(Two different hints, both good! - - Heloise)
• I have a binder for all my assignments; this keeps me organized so I don't lose anything. - - D'Aria
• I play beat the clock. I try to have all my work done by a certain time. - - Anthony
• Every day when I come home from school, I do my homework at the dinner table, and then I have a snack. - - Spencer
• I stay organized by doing the same things every day. - - Rebecca
• I listen to music when I clean and do the easiest things first. - - Aja
Mrs. LaBella, it was delightful talking with you when I called to congratulate your students on such super hints! Each one gets a Heloise HUG and a signed pamphlet I'm sending in your care. - - Heloise
P.S. - - Teachers and students, send your hints and share your advice! I'll print the ones that are helpful.
• Heloise/The Times of Northwest Indiana, P.O. Box 795001, San Antonio, Texas 78279-5001 or e-mail at Heloise@Heloise.com