Working in a hospital laboratory is a lot different now than it was in the early 20th century, as shown in this photo of "Miss Carmen" at work, from Methodist Hospital's archives.
Methodist Hospital was formed in 1917 as a branch of Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
The two hospitals separated in 1941 to make it more clear that the Gary site was to be under local control.
The current administration building in Gary was once a dormitory for nurses. And the Gary location has undergone numerous transitions as growth and conditions warranted.
In 1970, the hospital began construction of its Southlake campus on Broadway, about a quarter mile south of U.S. 30, while maintaining its existing campus in Gary. That site, too, has seen additional construction over the years.
There have been many changes in health care in the past century, including in the equipping and condition of laboratories, but the need for skilled laboratory technicians remains.