A steelworker who died at Gary Works in September was electrocuted, a Lake County Coroner's Office investigation found.
Jonathan Arizzola, a 30-year-old Valparaiso resident and military veteran, worked as an electrician at Gary Works, U.S. Steel's largest mill. He died while trying to fix a crane at the slab yard there on Sept. 30.
The manner of death was accidental and the cause of death was electrocution, according to Lake County Coroner's Office Chief Deputy Scott Sefton.
The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration is conducting an investigation into whether U.S. Steel violated any safety rules and should face any fines. A spokeswoman said in late December the investigation remained ongoing.
You have free articles remaining.
U.S. Steel declined to comment.
Arizzola was a Navy veteran who had once deployed to Pakistan on a humanitarian mission. He had worked at the steel mill in Gary for about four years. He left behind a wife and two young children.
Another electrician, the 67-year-old Charles Kremke, died as the result of accidental electrocution at Gary Works on June 15. IOSHA fined U.S. Steel $28,000 for the lapses in safety that contributed to Kremke's death.
A GoFundMe page was set up at www.gofundme.com/2s8p4s2c to help Arizzola's family.