{{featured_button_text}}

HOBART — Hobart authorities say residents who complained of black smoke in the area early Sunday morning likely referred to an incident at the Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant on Ridge Road.

Hobart Fire Chief Brian Kerr said Monday, the HVAC system on top of the building at 7770 E. 37th Avenue overheated about 8:08 a.m. 

"There was black smoke coming from it and people were calling," he said. "The crews had to make forcible entry to a side door to get into the building. There was no fire. The investigation showed the problem was the unit on top of the roof."

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

Kerr said there was some damage which extended inside to the ceiling tile just below the unit.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

The restaurant was closed at the time, and no one was inside. Kerr did not have an estimate on the amount of damage.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
2
0

Southlake County Reporter

Carmen is an award-winning journalist who has worked at The Times newspaper for 20 years. Before that she also had stints at The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., The Post-Tribune and The News Dispatch in Michigan City.