Hobart house fire ignites after man falls asleep with lit cigarette, fire official says
urgent

Hobart house fire ignites after man falls asleep with lit cigarette, fire official says

{{featured_button_text}}
Hobart house fire ignites after man falls asleep with lit cigarette

In a photo provided by the Hobart Fire Department, firefighters respond to a house fire on the 3900 block of Missouri St. on Feb. 25, 2019.

HOBART — Three people escaped unharmed after a fire ignited in the basement of a house on Monday night, officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched at 7:45 p.m. to the house on the 3900 block of Missouri Street, according to Hobart Fire Department spokesman Lt. John Reitz.

A middle-aged man living in the house admitted to firefighters that he had fallen asleep with a lit cigarette, Reitz said.

The house sustained smoke damage throughout, but the fire was contained to the basement.

Along with the occupants, a pet dog escaped the house uninjured. However, a pet cat died in the fire, according to Reitz.

 

0
0
0
10
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News

Crime

Entertainment & Dining

Latest News

Local Sports

NWI Prep Sport News

Weather Alerts