Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Couple found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at Dune Harbor
Dune Harbor

Couple found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at Dune Harbor

stock ambulance

PORTAGE — A man and woman were found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning late Friday night at Marina Shores at Dune Harbor, according to the Porter County Coroner's Office.

Michael S. McKinney, 44, of Wanatah, and Jennifer Ellenberger, 38, of Crown Point, were both pronounced dead at the scene after being discovered unresponsive in the cabin of a boat docked in the Portage harbor, the coroner's office stated in a news release Saturday.

According to statements from witnesses, McKinney's mother had been searching for her son when she found the two victims inside the boat, the release stated. A call came in to 911 at 10:02 p.m., and the Porter County coroner was dispatched an hour later.

Carbon monoxide levels taken by the Portage Fire Department at the scene were found to be at toxic levels, according to the coroner. Toxicology tests are being performed by the coroner's office to confirm carbon monoxide poisoning. There were no indications of foul play.

The Portage police and fire departments assisted in the investigation, as did the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News


Entertainment & Dining

Latest News

Local Sports

NWI Prep Sport News

Weather Alerts