Try 1 month for 99¢

GARY — It's been nearly three years since Diamond Bynum and her then-2-year-old nephew went missing and nearly a year since police have received any tips about their disappearance, Indiana State Police 1st Sgt. Jeffrey Matson said.

Police said Friday — which was National Missing Children's Day — that the case remains open, and they are ready to follow up on any additional information they receive.

Bynum and King Walker were 21 and 2 years old, respectively, when they went missing July 25, 2015, from their home in the 500 block of Matthews Street.

Bynum's stepmother told Gary police she, Bynum and King took a nap at their home. When she awoke about 11 a.m., Bynum and King were gone. 

The last time Indiana State Police followed up on a tip in the case was June 2017, Matson said. No new information came in after police in February released an updated flier from the Indiana Center for Missing and Exploited Children with an age progression picture of King, who would now be 5 years old.

In the week after the pair's disappearance, Gary police led several days of searches with assistance from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security's District 1 Task Force.

Police next turned their attention to sex offenders living around the Bynums' home in Gary's Brunswick neighborhood, and at one time authorities said they were looking to question a person of interest.

Family and friends continued the searches while working from a command center in the 300 block of 21st Avenue.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children helped print and distribute fliers. Pictures of Diamond Bynum and King appeared on several billboards.

Indiana State Police on Sept. 2, 2015, issued a Silver Alert for Diamond Bynum at the urging of family, who stressed Diamond Bynum is developmentally disabled, has the mental capacity of a 7-year-old and is unable to care for her young nephew.

The Northwest Indiana Major Crimes Task Force agreed to assist in the investigation in October 2016 and submitted several items to the Indiana State Police crime lab, interviewed and re-interviewed people, re-canvassed several areas using K-9s and executed at least one search warrant.

The family has since moved out of the home on Matthews Street.

King's grandfather remains in touch with state police, Matson said.

Anyone with information is asked to call Indiana State Police Detective Chris Campione at 219-696-6242.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Public Safety Reporter

Sarah covers crime, federal courts and breaking news for The Times. She joined the paper in 2004 after graduating from Purdue University Calumet.