Madeline cropped

This photo was linked to one of several social media posts seeking information on the whereabouts of Madison Eddlemon, 16, who was reported missing to police. 

CROWN POINT — When Nichole Cain received word from police that her daughter had been found after a two-day disappearance, it felt like she had "won the lottery 10 times" over.

But soon, Cain said relief turned into suspense, since the family didn't hear anything else from investigators for hours after that initial call. 

"It was all we knew at that point," she said. "It was all just a blur. ... I’ll never be able to describe that phone call."

Cain first reported her 16-year-old daughter, Madison Elizabeth Yancy Eddlemon, missing early Saturday. Eddlemon's disappearance then sparked a nationwide search, with state police issuing an Amber Alert to aid in her recovery.

With assistance from the FBI, Eddlemon — a junior at Crown Point High School — was located Sunday morning in Arkansas. The teen reunited with her family later that evening, putting Cain at ease once again.

Cain said the family met investigators about halfway between Indiana and Arkansas to ensure a quicker return. 

"Law enforcement has truly been amazing because this could've easily gone a different way," she said. "And (the media) just really helped us get the word out, so we could find her. I can't thank both enough."

Cain said she immediately knew the cause of her daughter's disappearance: Alexander Curry-Fishtorn. Eddlemon had dated the 22-year-old, but the relationship ended after the family learned the two were seeing each other.

Cain said Curry-Fishtorn, of St. John, had a history of controlling and abusing Eddlemon prior to the alleged kidnapping, prompting a no-contact order to be filed in March.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

The week of her disappearance, Cain said she had to call police twice to report that Curry-Fishtorn had harassed the teen, breaking into her car and leaving a gun case behind. The 22-year-old had been out on bond for stalking the teen, a violation of the protective order.

On Saturday, Cain said Curry-Fishtorn broke into Eddlemon's vehicle again while she was inside and carried the teen to his car before driving away. Eddlemon tried to exit his vehicle, but the car was rigged, so she couldn't unlock the door.

Police found her vehicle stopped at the intersection of Cleveland Street and Sherwood Drive in Crown Point. Her clothes were left in the car, along with other belongings.

"She definitely tried to get home," Cain said. "She wasn't trying to run away. She was taken against her will."

Cain said Curry-Fishtorn then dyed Eddlemon's light hair black to make her unrecognizable. But investigators were still able to find the teen and arrest the 22-year-old, who remains in Arkansas waiting extradition, without incident. 

"It's been a hellacious week," Cain said. "We're just so grateful to have her home."

Check back at nwi.com for updates on this story as it develops.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Morning Cops/Breaking News Reporter

Olivia is the morning cops/breaking news reporter at The Times. She spends her time monitoring traffic and weather reports, scanning crime logs and reading court documents. The Idaho native and University of Idaho grad has been with The Times since 2019.