Police chase ends with open road tackle, help from good Samaritans
editor's pick urgent

Police chase ends with open road tackle, help from good Samaritans


HAMMOND — A Chicago man scuffled with an Indiana State Police officer Friday night and then fled, with the resulting chase leading to the officer pulling his gun, scuffling again, tackling and eventually handcuffing the suspect with the assistance of two good Samaritans, according to police.

Marques J. Bates, 30, of Chicago was subsequently charged with battery of a law enforcement officer, a felony, as well as the misdemeanors of resisting law enforcement, operating while intoxicated refusal and operating while intoxicated endangering, according to Indiana State Police.

Events started at 9:29 p.m. when Trooper Alaa Hamed had just exited the Indiana Toll Road onto Indianapolis Boulevard and a 2001 Buick Century sped by and went through a red light, according to a state police news release. The vehicle then stopped in the area of 110th and 108th streets.

Hamed pulled up behind with his squad car's flashing lights on, walked up to the vehicle and smelled alcohol, the release stated. Bates took a field sobriety test and a portable breath test but became combative and attempted to walk away when Hamed tried to put handcuffs on him.

Hamed grabbed Bates but the suspect pulled free and ran into a field with the officer giving chase, the release stated. Bates fled north on Indianapolis Boulevard and Hamed returned to his car, drove north, and headed him off. Bates then turned around and fled south with Hamed again chasing on foot, according to police.

At one point, Bates turned around and Hamed ordered him to get on the ground at gunpoint, but Bates again fled, this time north on Indianapolis Boulevard, the release stated. With traffic coming at them, Hamed tackled Bates and after a couple of minutes of struggle started to get handcuffs on him.

Two passersby eventually helped hold Bates down and the officer finished handcuffing him, according to state police.

Trooper George Hornsby, Hammond police, and Hammond fire emergency medical personnel arrived. Both Bates and Hamed were medically cleared.

Bates again became combative, according to police, and was transported to the Lake County Jail in Crown Point.

Bates' passenger, who was sober, was released.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News


Entertainment & Dining

Latest News

Local Sports

NWI Prep Sport News

Weather Alerts