Try 1 month for 99¢

GARY — Lake County sheriff's police said Tuesday they plan to seek charges against a 19-year-old Lansing man accused of leading police on a high-speed chase last week that ended in a three-car crash in the city's Midtown section.

Tyrik J. Smith, 19, remained hospitalized Tuesday at University of Chicago Medical Center, said Cmdr. Alfred Villarreal, head of the sheriff's High Crimes Unit.

Smith and seven other people were injured in the crash Thursday at Broadway and 21st Avenue.

Sheriff's police plan to seek felony resisting law enforcement and misdemeanor reckless driving charges against Smith, Villarreal said.

Police also plan to seek a misdemeanor false informing charge against Robert Moore, 24, of Illinois, a passenger in the white 2018 Kia Optima driven by Smith.

Moore initially identified himself as Timothy Jones, police said.

He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn for treatment and released Friday, hours before investigators learned of his true identity and that he has a warrant out of Illinois for a parole violation for weapons offenses, Villarreal said.

The Sheriff's Department has asked the U.S. Marshals Service to help locate Moore, he said.

Indiana State Police were still investigating the crash.

Sheriff's police did not anticipate seeking charges against two other passengers in the Kia, Villarreal said.

Marshawn Murdock, 22, of Dolton, was taken to St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart and later released.

Isaiah Bradley, 21, of Lansing, was taken to Methodist Hospitals Southlake Campus in Merrillville with non life-threatening injuries.

An officer with the sheriff's High Crimes Unit began to pursue the Kia after seeing Smith run a stop sign at East Eighth Avenue and Kentucky Street, police said.

Smith stopped the Kia on Seventh Avenue, just west of Tennessee Street, but the car sped off after the officer attempted to walk up to it.

The pursuit continued down Broadway, where Smith drove around stopped traffic at 21st Avenue at a high rate of speed and hit a 2018 GMC Terrain in the intersection and a 2009 GMC Sierra waiting to go north on Broadway.

Two people in the Terrain and two people in the Sierra were taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries.

Minutes before the chase started, an undercover agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was shot multiple times in an ambush near East Fifth Avenue and Kentucky Street in north Gary.

ATF has said the shooting and chase are not related. Two men have been charged in federal court, and a third was charged in Lake Criminal Court in connection with the ATF case.

The sheriff's High Crimes Unit was patrolling north Gary on Thursday, but was not aware of the ATF's activity there, Villarreal said.

"We had no idea that the ATF had an operation there," he said.

The unit had targeted the neighborhood because there have been a number of shootings and 911 calls, he said.

Gallery: Images from the three-car crash and shootout in Gary

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Public Safety Reporter

Sarah covers crime, federal courts and breaking news for The Times. She joined the paper in 2004 after graduating from Purdue University Calumet.