Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
UPDATE: 16-hour standoff at Calumet City mobile home park ends with man's surrender

UPDATE: 16-hour standoff at Calumet City mobile home park ends with man's surrender

Calumet City officials briefed the news media Sunday as authorities continued to negotiate with a barricaded subject.

CALUMET CITY — A police standoff with a man who barricaded himself inside a mobile home for over 16 hours after a shooting ended early Monday when the man surrendered peacefully, a city official confirmed.

The man was arrested about 7:40 a.m. and is currently in police custody, said Calumet City spokesman Sean Howard.

The Time's reporter partner NBC 5 Chicago reported police believed the barricaded man may be have been wounded and there was no immediate threat to the community as the standoff continued Monday.

Calumet City police were dispatched about 1:30 p.m. Sunday to a mobile home in the 100 block of State Street for a report of a gunshot victim, Interim Police Chief Kevin Kolosh said.

A 62-year-old man was located and transported to a hospital, he said. The man's condition was not known Sunday night.

Officers learned the situation began as confrontation between the victim and a 52-year-old man, who retreated into a residence in the 100 block of Maple Court after the shooting, officials said.

The 52-year-old fired shots at responding officers, who retreated to positions of cover and did not return fire, police said.

The South Suburban Emergency Task Force was activated, and a SWAT team responded to the scene, officials said.

The situation was believed to be isolated, Howard said.

Traffic restrictions were in place at the mobile home park, and Illinois State Police were assisting with traffic control.

State police shut down several interstate ramps, including the ramp from northbound Interstate 94 to Sibley Boulevard, the ramp from southbound I-94 to Dolton Avenue and the ramp from northbound I-94 to Dolton Avenue.

The interstate was reopened at 3:30 a.m. Monday, Howard said.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News


Entertainment & Dining

Latest News

Local Sports

NWI Prep Sport News

Weather Alerts