CROWN POINT — A Hammond man told police he met an old classmate while drinking at a Whiting bar Saturday and ended up shooting the classmate after the two of them went to beat up a third man, court records show.

Edgar Del Real, 37, was charged Monday with one count of murder, two counts of felony burglary and one count of felony battery resulting in serious bodily injury in the shooting death of Steven Robledo, 37, of Chicago, in Whiting.

Del Real told police he met Robledo, his former classmate, while drinking at Frankie V's and asked Robledo to accompany him to beat up a Whiting man at the man's home in the 2600 block of White Oak Avenue, Lake Criminal Court records say.

Whiting police previously investigated an allegation the Whiting man had abused Del Real's daughter, but they found insufficient evidence to file a case, Police Chief Steve Miller said. Del Real told police in an interview after the homicide he was angry with the man because of that allegation, court records say.

Del Real estimated he drank about 12 beers before leaving the bar, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The Whiting man told police he was watching TV when he heard his screen door open and close and saw a man run away, court records state.

The man retrieved and loaded his 12-gauge shotgun, and found Del Real at his door after hearing it open and close a second time, the affidavit says.

Del Real allegedly told police he punched the man in the head, and the two struggled over the shotgun. At one point, Del Real allegedly gained control of the shotgun and pointed it at the man's son, saying, "What, what," as if warning the boy away.

The boy ran to another room and called 911, but then heard a gunshot. When he came back out, he saw his father lying in a pool of blood and thought his father been shot. The boy later learned his father was bleeding from the fight.

The gunshot actually struck Robledo, who died on the outside steps of the house, court records say.

Robledo was shot when the gun went off as Del Real grabbed it out of the Whiting man's hands, court records say.

Del Real ran out of the home with the shotgun, tossed the gun on the sidewalk, got into his vehicle and drove to his home in the 2000 block of Calumet Avenue in Hammond, according to the affidavit.

Police arrived at the home on White Oak and found Robledo dead. The Whiting man was taken to St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago for treatment of cuts and bleeding to his head and nose, a broken cheekbone and a broken nose, court records say.

Witnesses reportedly identified Del Real, so Hammond police went to his home and located his vehicle. The Northwest Indiana Major Crimes Task Force executed a search warrant at Del Real's home and found bloodied clothes and shoes, the affidavit says.

Del Real told police he threw his clothes in a trash can and took a shower before Hammond police arrived, court records say.

Miller said the alleged abuse involving Del Real's daughter was reported to Whiting police in December, and an investigation was conducted with assistance from Indiana Department of Child Protective Services, the Lake County Sheriff's Department Special Victims Unit and Indiana State Police. The abuse was alleged to have occurred at the White Oak Avenue home when the girl was 4 years old, he said.

Robledo's homicide marks the first in Whiting since May 5, 2012, when Matthew Noojin fatally shot Eric Picazzo, 22, also of Whiting, after the two argued at a party regarding a girlfriend.

Noojin, 28, was sentenced in 2013 to 45 years in prison.


Public Safety Reporter

Sarah covers crime, federal courts and breaking news for The Times. She joined the paper in 2004 after graduating from Purdue University Calumet.