{{featured_button_text}}
Report: Chicago officer distraught after killing black teen

In this Jan. 18, 2019, file photo, former Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke attends his sentencing hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building in Chicago for the 2014 shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald. In court filings released Wednesday, a psychologist's report on Van Dyke says he felt "shell-shocked" in the days that followed the shooting.

CHICAGO — A white Chicago police officer convicted of killing black teenager Laquan McDonald has resigned from the department.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says Jason Van Dyke formally resigned last week.

The department moved to fire Van Dyke for shooting the 17-year-old McDonald in 2014. The process that began in 2015 was placed on hold while his criminal case was pending.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

Max Caproni of the Chicago Police Board, which handles police firing and disciplinary hearings, says after the guilty verdict, Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson filed an additional argument that Van Dyke's conviction cost him the certification required to be an officer. Caproni says Van Dyke's attorneys informed the board of his resignation and that he won't collect a pension.

Van Dyke is serving a nearly seven-year prison sentence for second-degree murder and aggravated battery.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

0
0
0
0
2

The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers.