Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Iowa Street roundabout opening delayed
0 Comments
urgent

Iowa Street roundabout opening delayed

  • Updated
  • 0

CROWN POINT — The anticipated opening this week of the roundabout at 109th Avenue and Iowa Street has hit a delay, Crown Point Chief of Staff Greg Falkowski said.

"It will probably be opened in the next two weeks. We're not far away," Falkowski said.

Falkowski said the delay is due to the shipment of illumination heads for light poles at the roundabout.

"They haven't been shipped. Once they are shipped they can be installed and the roundabout opened," Falkowski said.

Mayor David Uran last month said the roundabout could be opened by the first week in October, but with the delays, that anticipated opening will likely be in mid-October or later.

Join Cpl. Jerry Patrick, as he patrols the hallways of Lake Central and Kahler Middle School.

In total, Uran said the project will cost $2.3 to $2.4 million, of which the city is responsible for 10%. The other 90% was funded by federal dollars from the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) through the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC).

INDOT is doing its final stages on the Interstate 65/109th Avenue interchange, and that's still on pace to be opened around mid-November, said Cassandra Bajek.

Bajek serves as public relations director for the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) Northwest Indiana.

"Rain has been an issue but we feel confident it will be completed by then," Bajek said.

The Interstate 65 ramps at 109th Avenue in Crown Point closed earlier this summer.

INDOT is replacing two signalized intersections at the Interstate 65 ramps at 109th Avenue with roundabouts, which is known as a "dogbone" interchange.

INDOT said previously 109th also will be widened to four lanes.

The state project is expected to cost about $5 million.

Falkowski said it's his understanding that all the Crown Point/INDOT road projects from east of Interstate 65 and Iowa to the Winfield boundary line along 109th Avenue should be completed by mid-December.

Winfield town officials in mid-August closed down a portion of 109th Avenue in Winfield to tackle a major road improvement project.

A portion of 109th Avenue, at the intersection of Grand Boulevard, in Winfield, was closed for about 60 days for road construction.

The project is set to improve the intersection, which town officials have called “very dangerous.”

Work includes removing the hills from 109th Avenue; adding dedicated, northbound turn lanes off 109th and a passing lane on the south side of 109th; raising Grand to meet the new height of 109th; and adding dedicated eastbound and westbound turn lanes onto Grand going south.

The project also includes replacing a large culvert under the intersection as well as installing storm sewers along the road.

Recent arrests booked into Lake County Jail 

0 Comments
0
0
0
0
0

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News

Crime

Entertainment & Dining

Latest News

Local Sports

NWI Prep Sport News

Weather Alerts