MERRILLVILLE | Severe winter weather has dominated the headlines across much of the country the past few months, but there’s one effect of the freezing temperatures, icy roads and mounting snow that may have been overlooked: the impact to the blood supply.
March storms forced the cancellation of more than 200 American Red Cross blood drives, resulting in nearly 7,000 uncollected blood and platelet donations. This follows more than 26,400 uncollected blood and platelet donations in February due to severe weather across 27 states.
During Red Cross Month, the American Red Cross reminds eligible blood donors that it doesn’t take a cape or superpowers to be a hero. Donors can become a hero for patients in need.
The Red Cross depends on blood donor heroes in communities across the nation to collect enough blood to meet the needs of patients at approximately 2,600 hospitals nationwide. Donors with all blood types are needed, particularly those with types O negative, A negative and B negative.
To schedule an appointment, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call (800) 733-2767.
Upcoming blood drives in Lake, Newton and Jasper counties:
- 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Marquette Park United Methodist Church, 215 N. Grand Blvd., Gary
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Culver's, 980 W. U.S. 30, Schererville
- 1 to 6 p.m. Monday at St. John Township Community Center, 1515 U.S. 30, Schererville
- 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at South Newton High School, 13102 S. 50 East. Kentland
- 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Rensselaer Central High School, 1106 E Grace St.. Rensselaer
- 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. March 20 at International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, 7200 Mississippi St., Merrillville
- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. March 23 at Hobart Community Center, 111 E Old Ridge Road
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 24 at Ivy Tech Community College, 410 E. Columbus Drive, East Chicago
- 2 to 5 p.m. March 24 at State Farm Insurance, 216 Main St., Hobart
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 25 at Tradebe Treatment and Recycling, 4343 Kennedy Ave., East Chicago
- Noon to 6 p.m. March 25 at St. Joseph College Halleck Center, 1498 S. College Ave., Rensselaer
- Noon to 4 p.m. March 26 at Cedar Creek Health Campus, 18275 Burr St., Lowell
- 1 to 6 p.m. March 28 at Wheatfield Public Library, 350 S. Bierma St.
- 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 30 at Brookdale Merrillville, 8253 Virginia St.
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 30 at Calumet College of St. Joseph Athletic Building, 2400 New York Ave., Hammond
- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. March 31 at Crown Point Community Library, 122 N. Main St.
The Merrillville Donor Center, 791 E. 83rd Ave., is open from 12:30 to 5 p.m. every Monday and from 8 a.m. to noon the first and third Saturday each month.