MERRILLVILLE | The American Red Cross urges eligible donors to to give blood in August and help meet the constant need for blood products by patients.
Despite summer travel and other activities that may cause some donors to be less available to give, the Red Cross must collect 15,000 blood donations every day to meet the needs of patients at approximately 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers across the country.
Donors of all blood types – especially those with types AB, O negative, A negative and B negative – are needed to help ensure blood products are available to hospital patients this summer.
To make an appointment to give blood, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call (800) 733-2767.
Upcoming blood drives in Lake and Jasper counties:
- 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Lowell Public Library, 1505 E. Commercial Ave., Lowell
- 2:30 to 7 p.m. Monday, East Chicago Masonic Lodge 595, 911 W. Chicago Ave.
- 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Highland Parks & Recreation Department's Lincoln Center, 2450 Lincoln St.
- 3:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Indiana Fallen Officer Blood Drive at National Night Out, Munster Community Pool, 8837 Calumet Ave.
- Noon to 6 p.m. Aug. 6, Knights of Columbus Hall, 325 E. Vine St., Rensselaer
- 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 6, St. Matthias Church, 101 Burrell Drive, Crown Point
- 1 to 6 p.m. Aug. 6, Monsanto, 15849 S. U.S. 231, Remington
- 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 8, Kaplan College, 7833 Indianapolis Blvd., Hammond
- Noon to 5 p.m. Aug. 8, Spanish Church of God, 4624 Hohman Ave., Hammond
- 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 9, First Presbyterian Church, 218 S. Court St., Crown Point
- 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 9, Family Video, 1440 Sheffield Ave., Dyer
- 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 9, Family Video, 2939 45th St., Highland
- 1:30 to 6 p.m. Aug. 10, VFW Post 717, 10400 W. 93rd Ave., St. John
- 1 to 7 p.m. Aug. 13, American Reformed Church, 1021 S. Halleck St., DeMotte
The Merrillville Donor Center at 791 E. 83rd Ave. is open from noon to 5 p.m. every Monday and from 8 a.m. until noon the first and third Saturday of each month.