Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
2nd Hoosier dies of coronavirus, ISDH says
topical urgent

2nd Hoosier dies of coronavirus, ISDH says

{{featured_button_text}}
Virus Outbreak Indiana

Courtney Crabtree talks with a customer at a Witham Health Services drive-through Community Viral Screening center, Monday, March 16, 2020, in Whitestown, Ind. The screening center for coronavirus will help provide guidance and reduce unnecessary trips to the emergency room. 

The state has suffered its second death as a result of the novel coronavirus, state health officials announced Tuesday.

The deceased patient is a Johnson County adult over 60 who had been hospitalized. 

The state announced on Monday its first death. That person had been under care in central Indiana's Community Health Network before dying.

Coronavirus strands Region couple at sea

That person also was over 60 years old, and had a preexisting health issue before testing positive for the virus.

ISDH also reported six new positive cases of the virus on Tuesday, bringing the state's total to 30. 

Three cases have been confirmed in Northwest Indiana as of Tuesday morning, including the two latest cases in Lake County and a 55-year-old LaPorte County man who is seeking care at Porter Regional Hospital.

Crown Point woman under quarantine awaiting COVID-19 test results

Fifteen counties have reported positive COVID-19 cases: Adams, Bartholomew, Boone, Floyd, Franklin, Hamilton, Hendricks, Howard, Johnson, Lake, LaPorte, Marion, Noble, St. Joseph and Wells counties. Marion County has reported the highest number of cases with seven.

The ISDH is reporting 159 tests of Hoosiers have been performed by the state health department and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

First Hoosier dies of coronavirus; state officials urge Hoosiers to stay home

On Monday, the state called for all businesses and restaurants to limit service to only take-out and deliveries, something state officials say they expect to wind down today and take full effect Wednesday.

Hospitals have also been directed to cease all non-urgent surgeries to free up capacity for those believed to be seeking care for symptoms aligning with those of COVID-19.

Restaurants switch to carryout and delivery only: 'It's a scary time for small businesses and service workers'

Gallery: World responds to threat, reality of coronavirus

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

North Lake County Reporter

Lauren covers North Lake County government, breaking news, crime and environmental issues for The Times. She holds a master’s degree in Public Affairs Reporting from UIS. Contact her at lauren.cross@nwi.com or 219-933-3206.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News

Crime

Entertainment & Dining

Latest News

Local Sports

NWI Prep Sport News

Weather Alerts