{{featured_button_text}}
gary bed bugs

Bed bugs were discovered Tuesday night in the council chambers during City Council, but no public explanation was given to those in attendance during the meeting.

GARY — Bed bugs were discovered Tuesday night in the council chambers during City Council, but no public explanation was given to those in attendance during the meeting.

After a man attending City Council was discovered to have bed bugs, Gary fire and police personnel ordered people in the first two pews closest to the Council Chamber doors to relocate.

Once the pews were cleared, Gary Fire Chief Paul Bradley, wearing bright orange gloves, worked with other fire and police personnel to take the pews into a hallway just outside the council chambers. The two pews were placed on red plastic sheets before being removed from the building.

The parasitic insect known as bed bugs can be transmitted from one location to another through a person’s clothing, luggage, backpacks, upholstery and furniture.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

No explanation was given when requested. But after the meeting, a Times reporter asked Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson about the incident.

She responded, “Bed bugs.”

She said a man in the audience was “covered in them.”

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
1
14
9
4
17

Northlake County Reporter

Lauren covers North Lake County government, breaking news, crime and environmental issues for The Times. She previously worked at The Herald-News in Joliet. She holds a master’s degree in Public Affairs Reporting.