GARY | The city's redevelopment director said he was pleased with the prices Gary received Wednesday for the demolition of more than 160 structures in the city.
Gary's Redevelopment Commission on Wednesday opened bids for the demolitions of the properties that were broken up into 16 different groups, ranging from 7 to 16 buildings per group. Seven different companies submitted bids, although not all of them bid on each group.
Redevelopment Director Joseph Van Dyk will come back with recommendations on the award of bids, probably at the commission's board meeting later this month.
Based on a brief analysis of the bids, the price to demolish the structures will be somewhere between $1 million and $2 million. The exact cost, however, will not be determined until a final decision is made on the bid awards. From first glance, however, Van Dyk said the costs appear to be much less than the city had allotted for the work.
You have free articles remaining.
The commission did give approval Wednesday to contracting with JM Industrial Services, Inc. for the emergency demolition of structures located at 652-654 Broadway and 656-658 Broadway for about $110,000.
The city last year received $6.6 million through the state's Hardest Hit Fund Blight Elimination Program that was initially expected to allow the city to tear down a minimum of 379 blighted structures.
Last week, however, Van Dyk said he estimated that based on the prices the city has been receiving they might actually be able to demolish between 600 and 700 structures with the money.