Try 1 month for 99¢
Michael Yakubec

Michael Yakubec

Hobart police arrested a suspect in the homicide of an 80-year-old Hobart man Saturday night, according to Hobart Police Capt. James Gonzales.

Police were searching for Michael Yakubec, 50, who was last seen Thursday at St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart after speaking with medical personnel and police. 

A Hobart officer saw the suspect's vehicle, a black 1998 Ford Mustang, in the 6100 block of Oregon Street around 10 p.m. The officer notified his supervisor and a K-9 unit was dispatched to the scene. The K-9 tracked the suspect to the residence. Officers entered the residence and found Yakubec, who had locked himself in a room. He was taken into custody, according to Capt. Gonzales.

Charges will be presented to the Lake County prosecutor's office Sunday.

Police officers responded about 3:20 p.m. Thursday to St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart regarding a victim being treated for head injuries reportedly caused by a fall in a shower in the 6100 block of Oregon Street, according to an earlier news release.

Emergency workers explained to officers that John Yakubec, 80, had been transported to the emergency room by the Hobart Fire Department.

John Yakubec's son, Michael, spoke with workers in the emergency room while his father received treatment. He told medical personnel he had left home around 8:30 a.m. Thursday and returned home around 2:30 p.m. to find his father unconscious in the shower. Michael Yakubec subsequently spoke with a chaplain and Hobart investigator at separate times in the emergency room and explained he left at 2 p.m. and returned at 2:30 p.m. that day, according to the release.

As medical personnel were treating John Yakubec, it became apparent the multiple injuries to his skull were inconsistent with a fall in the shower, the release states.

During this time in the emergency room, the Hobart investigator was gathering information on John Yakubec's family and medical history when Michael Yakubec became "defensive" and asked if he should seek a lawyer, the release states.

The investigator stepped away from the emergency room briefly and later discovered Michael Yakubec had left the room.

Hobart Fire Department personnel and medical staff both reported to the investigator that John Yakubec was fully clothed and wasn't wet, which contradicted the shower story, the release states.

Simultaneously, officers responded to the residence on Oregon Street and secured it until a warrant was obtained. Hobart police, Lake County Crime Lab and Indiana State Crime Lab processed the residence for evidence. Officers recovered two rifles from Michael Yakubec's bedroom closet. Investigators noted the crime scene was contained to the bathroom where blood was seen, according to the release.

John Yakubec was flown to Cook County Hospital in Chicago for further treatment, but died of his injuries around 11:05 p.m. Thursday.

The Cook County medical examiner's office conducted an autopsy Saturday. The cause of death was ruled a homicide from multiple blunt force head injuries.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Digital Producer/Staff Photographer

Kale is a digital producer with the Times. He is a Region native, hailing from Schererville. He writes feature stories, shoots photos, and produces Byline, a Times podcast. He is a graduate of Indiana University.