---Schererville is still called the "Crossroads of the Nation" because it is
located at the intersection of routes US 41 and US 30. US 41 runs the entire
length of the United States from north to south. US 30 covers the entire United
States from east to west.
---The homestead of Schererville's founder, Nicholas Scherer is occupied and
still stands at 33 E Wilhelm Street, the street directly behind the police
---Two brothers, Martin and Steve Teibel, were running a garage in Hammond in
1929 when the routes of two new highways, 41 & 30, were announced. The brothers
saw a chance to create a rural business, borrowed some money, bought two corners
and built a small hamburger stand-restaurant on the southeast corner. This was
the beginning of the now famous Tiebel's Restaurant. At the time a big sign
above their restaurant advertised, "1/2 chicken dinner 50 cents."
--- Eventually the Teibel brothers were able to buy the two remaining corners.
Anyone living in Schererville or the surrounding area before 1990 knew of
Sauzer's Waffle Shop. It was located on the northeast corner of Rts. 41 & 30.
Frank Sauzer Sr. ran the waffle shop for decades. The Teibels were his
landlord. The amazing fact is that Mr. Sauzer never had a written rental
contract with the Teibels. At one time a person's word meant something, they
simply shook hands. That was their contract.
---In the 1930s and 40s the Schererville Fire Department building was located at
about the area of the present day Schererville Town Court. According to Art
Schewitzer, Schererville's historian who passed away in April 2010, the fire
department bought the town's first television set in approximately 1947. Art
remembers that is was a 10" RCA. The kids of Schererville were allowed to watch
TV whenever a member of the fire department was around, and it was a popular and
---Michael Steuer, appointed in 1911, and later Peter Cope, appointed in 1925,
were the first town Marshals. Steuer had no office and no jail. His
protection was his billy-club and a star. Cope's uniform was said to be a black
vest and his star. He did, however, have a gun. His patrol car was his
personal Model T.
Peter Redar, Schererville's first Chief of Police, graduated from a Model T
to a Model A. Before the police cars had a radio hook-up, a signal system was
in effect for the police department. It consisted of a phone and two porch
lights. Mr. Redar would take all phone calls at his home and when the police
were on patrol they would watch for the porch light. If the light went on, they
were to come up to the house and find out what the trouble was. This "modern"
system was used into the early 60's according to the late Bob Florkiewicz, a
retired former Schererville policeman. Redar Park, in central Schererville, was
named after Peter Redar who died on August 4, 1964, as a result of injures
incurred in an accident at routes 41 and 30. His squad car was hit head-on by a
semi that jackknifed on the rainy, slippery pavement.
----Located in the southwest part of the current Homan School property,
Schererville Township School #1 was built in 1892. In the 1905 picture, the
"school buses" were ready to take the students home. The school was used until
1941, but the buses stopped eating hay.
----In the early 1900s railroads were important in the areas in and around
Schererville. They were the movers of freight, live stock and people between
Chicago and central Indiana. The Pensy steam engine comes out of the Hartsdale
yard heading south. Trains would go through downtown Schererville, crossing
Joliet Street approximately every 1/2 hour, day and night. The town was often
blocked by a freight train.