{{featured_button_text}}
Ambulance stock

File photo

GARY — The woman who died following a carbon monoxide leak Wednesday at a home in the city's Brunswick neighborhood was identified as 72-year-old Tina Hoskins.

Gary firefighters found Hoskins and a 5-year-old girl down and in full cardiac arrest about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at Hoskins' home in the 700 block of King Street, officials said. 

Both were taken to Methodist Hospitals Northlake Campus, where Hoskins was pronounced dead at 5:25 p.m. Hoskins' manner of death was pending, according to the Lake County coroner's office.

The 5-year-old was scheduled late Wednesday to be flown by helicopter to another hospital in critical condition.

Gary Fire Department spokesman Mark Jones said early Thursday he did not have updated information about the girl's condition.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

Upon arrival, Gary firefighters registered high carbon monoxide levels in the home.

The source of the carbon monoxide remained under investigation, Jones said. The stove was suspect, because it was in the off position but hot to the touch.

The higher levels of carbon monoxide were found in the kitchen, he said. Jones did not have information about whether the home's furnace might also be suspect.

Gary police are investigating, but do not suspect foul play, Lt. Dawn Westerfield said.

She asked residents to remember to never use a stove as an alternative heating source.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
6
2