Try 3 months for $3
Cameo Crawford

Cameo Crawford was arrested Oct. 22, 2015, in Michigan City on an attempted murder charge.

MICHIGAN CITY | A Michigan City murder suspect who was released from jail pending an Indiana Supreme Court review of his case is back behind bars charged with attempted murder in a separate case.

Brian Taylor, 22, of Michigan City, was being held Tuesday in the LaPorte County Jail on $100,000 cash only bond. He's charged with attempted murder for what police said was his role in the Oct. 22 shooting at two people, ages 17 and 18, in the area of 10th and Tennessee streets on Michigan City's west side.

The Indiana Supreme Court on Wednesday will try to sort out the legal mess caused by several Michigan City police officers who listened in on a private conversation between Taylor and his attorney. It came after Taylor was arrested and charged after the March 2014 shooting death of his girlfriend, Simone Bush, 24, inside her residence on County Line Road near U.S. 12.

At issue is whether LaPorte Superior Judge Kathleen Lang exceeded her authority by barring all trial testimony from the officers after they invoked their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in connection with the eavesdropping.

In June, the Indiana Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that Lang properly excluded the gun police discovered after listening in, but said she went too far in prohibiting the officers from testifying about aspects of their investigation that uncovered other allegedly incriminating evidence.

Taylor's murder trial was put on hold and he was released from jail while the issue of what Michigan City police can testify to is under consideration by the courts.

Cameo Crawford, 18, also was being held on charges of attempted murder and criminal gang activity in connection with the Oct. 22 incident.

Michigan City police Detective Cpl. Al Bush said the shots were fired at close range by each of the suspects, but the victims were not hit.

"They had an angel on their shoulders that night," Bush said of the intended targets.

According to police, the victims were engaged in a physical fight in a residential area when Taylor and Crawford approached on foot.

Words were exchanged between the individuals, who all knew each other, then gunfire rang out, police said.

Eleven shell casings were recovered from the street.

The investigation quickly led police to a home on Salem Street where Taylor and Crawford were leaving in a vehicle.

While being followed, they jumped out on Woodsedge Drive and were caught in a wooded area, said police.