VALPARAISO — No charges will be filed against two men in an incident that caused Portage Township Schools to be locked down last week.
"From my information, after a thorough investigation by Portage Police Department, it was determined they were not involved in any criminal activity. Bad judgment and timing, certainly," said Porter County Prosecutor Brian Gensel in a written statement Thursday.
On Feb. 15, Portage police received reports of two men walking in the area of Fegely Middle School carrying weapons. The reports caused police to swarm the area and for the schools to be placed on lockdown.
The incident came one day after a 19-year-old in Florida was accused of carrying out the deadliest school shooting in five years, leaving 17 dead and 14 wounded.
You have free articles remaining.
The two men were later found and taken into custody. The guns ended up being look-alike BB-style guns. They told police they were target hunting in nearby woods. They were released after being interviewed, and reports were turned over to the prosecutor's office.
Gallery: Recent arrests booked into Porter County Jail