Try 1 month for 99¢
Suspect in brutal '03 Dyer rape nabbed
Jeffrey Cameron

Connecticut authorities are holding a man allegedly linked by DNA to a brutal 2003 rape in Dyer, police said Wednesday night.

Connecticut state police arrested Jeffrey Cameron, 24, on Tuesday after U.S. marshals tipped the troopers that Cameron was in Salibury, a tiny town in northwest Connecticut, said Trooper Scott Aitken. Cameron was arrested on a warrant for being a fugitive from justice, Aitken said.

Cameron was booked into the New Haven Correctional Center on $200,000 bond Wednesday night, according to an officer at the facility. In court Wednesday, he waived his right to fight extradition, and officers are expected to pick him up June 4 and bring him to Indiana, according to a report from The Register Citizen in Torrington, Conn.

Neither Dyer police nor U.S. Marshals Service officials could be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Cameron was linked to the incident by DNA left on a bloody T-shirt and body fluids from the rape, according to court records. The victim told Dyer police a man showed up at her front door with a hatchet and rifle July 10, 2003. The man asked the victim for money, so she offered her car keys and ATM card, police said. The man came back angry that the card would not work, the woman told police. He bound her feet, waist and face with duct tape, then raped her under threat of violence, court records say. He then tossed her his T-shirt and left, police said.

The victim identified Cameron in a photo lineup, court records say.

According to The Register Citizen:

Cameron, a native of Korea, told Connecticut troopers he didn't know why he was being arrested Tuesday.

"We went to arrest him on the warrant, and he was compliant. He said he had never been in Indiana," Trooper James Promotico said.

Cameron claimed the only trouble he faced were out-of-state tickets, according to a police report. Cameron is a former resident of New Hampshire and Vermont.

Thomas Bratter saw Cameron before his arrest. Cameron told Bratter he was hiking the Appalachian Trail before he stopped at Bratter's home. Cameron attended the John Dewey Academy in Great Barrington, Mass., a school for troubled teens founded by Bratter. The school usually sees its students move on to colleges and great careers, Bratter said, but Cameron left abruptly.

"I am shocked," Bratter said.

Bratter said Cameron never exhibited violent tendencies at the school.

"He was friendly, outgoing, loud -- no, and I was surprised he left when he did. I assumed he would graduate and get into a good school."

Cameron told Bratter on Tuesday he was considering returning to the school, but their arrangements were interrupted.

"If he did this, I hope they burn his ass," Bratter said.

"I'm no liberal. I was shocked by what I read about (the allegations)."

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.